Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Chapter 7: William Penn's Founding Joy, PA

I was much better suited for my next venture, a non-profit company in the arts. Although my salary was substantially leaner, my work life was pleasant. I was not only managing marketing projects, but I was also managing people. Four people, to be exact. Two designers, a marketing coordinator and an administrative assistant. After this experience, I still wonder why it is that some folks insist on having direct reports. I have ascertained that it is a huge pain in the ass. This is perhaps because I tend to be less confrontational than I’d like to be. My direct reports picked up on that and used me as a sounding board for all their petty office irritations. I can’t tell you how much time was wasted on this nonsense. One of the four would waltz in and mechanically shut the door at least once a day, sometimes twice. This was a sign that bellyaching was about to take place. First, a problem was diplomatically and delicately presented. Next, an expectation was placed on me to take action. Since I rarely did this, my direct reports were usually content enough if I listened and nodded and justified their anger. Once validated, they would exit and gossip with their co-workers. The problems were rarely serious, usually speculation and hearsay, but I was the boss and my office was the dumping ground for their grievances. I didn’t care so much about the tittle-tattling. I cared about the work. And chitchatting always got in the way of work. Less talkie, more workie, I thought to myself. How would I communicate this to my folks without risking their friendship?

Still, I accepted this. I mean, it was a small price to pay for the terrific relaxation I was afforded. Rolling in at 9:15, rolling out at 4:45. There was plenty to do, including the creation of procedures, but nerd that I am, this is work I really loved. And the people I managed appreciated the order and attention to detail. Evidently, my predecessor was fixated on the managing people part and less on the process part.

We (me and my direct reports) actually had a lot of fun together. We impersonated our favorite Office Space characters, cracked jokes, and engaged in very silly behavior most of the time. I found it easier to make excuses for their late work than confront them about it. Bottom line: I don’t like being disliked. I understood, shortly after I took this job, that it would be the last time I would consider direct reports. I’m much too buddy-buddy and I’m not a very patient listener. Actually, I’d listen patiently – the problem is that 9 out of 10 times I just didn’t care and would rather not have been bothered. I’m a project manager, a contingency planner, an issue tracker, a schedule maker. I like lists and minutia and flow charts. I relish the carving out of processes, tracking and analyzing and reporting. How can we learn from our challenges? How can we streamline this or that? How can we reduce the margin for error? I am not a personnel type person. I am not good with, what is that called? Human resource stuff? Not for me, I’m afraid.

I stayed with this organization for a year or so. Financially, I was really starting to struggle. One of my direct reports, somehow, made a lot more money than me. Also, my boyfriend and I got engaged and decided to move back to the Boston area. What can I say? I missed home. I missed the Red Sox.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home